6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
1 teaspoon grated Key lime peel
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
1 tablespoon grated Key lime peel
1 16-ounce container sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together all ingredients for custard in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat and cook additional 8 minutes, until sauce thickens. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and butter. Press into bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake crust for 5 minutes.
- Beat together cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, eggs, lime juice and lime peel until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon custard mixture into crust and spread evenly. Carefully spoon filling over top.
- Set cheesecake pan in a large baking pan full of water, enough to come 1 inch up the sides.
- Bake 45 minutes, until center is almost set.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream and remaining sugar. Spoon over hot cheesecake. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Garnish suggestion – fresh lime slices.